The Long Swim (opening scene): script.


INT. NEW YORK DETECTIVES OFFICE – EVENING
[DANNY ROSENSTINE a New York private detective, is sitting at his desk reading a New York Times. The camera pans around the room and eventually zoom’s in on DANNY when the following voice over stops.]
DANNY:

(v.o.) Most of the time, I wouldn’t have been in the office in August. I’d have tried to get out of the heat of the city for a month. But the ponies hadn’t been kind to me and right then I was broke. Most of the time I don't have a losing streak as long as your arm, but the early summer of ’48 was my worst losing streak in ten years. Work wise I’d had a couple of small jobs, a dame playing away from home and a missing string of pearls. Both were solved in a couple of days, but at $20 a day plus expenses, I managed to avoid tying up all the loose ends for a few days longer. My losing streak wasn’t getting any better. But it was about to get a lot worse……..
                                     
(Knock on door)

(Enter MARION DAVENPORT, a tall, elegant brunet. She is dressed expensively, wearing a hat shading half her face and holding a small, elegant handbag. She looks like old money and has the voice to match. She looks behind her as she comes in the door.)
MARION:
Mr. Rosenstein?

DANNY:
In person.

MARION:
My name is Marion Davenport.

DANNY:
My mom calls me Daniel,
But everyone else calls me Danny.

MARION:
Let’s keep it formal shall we, Mr. Rosenstein?

(She pulls out a powder compact and checks her face and applies a quick pat of powder.)

DANNY:
Of course, Miss, or is it Mrs Davenport?

MARION:
It’s Mrs.

DANNY:
I’d guess from the way you came in here that you don’t want Mr. Davenport to know you’re here.

MARION:
Mr. Davenport is dead, Mr. Rosenstein. He has been for two years.

DANNY:
I’m sorry.

MARION:
Don’t be. He drank like a fish and was a terrible gambler.

DANNY:
I like him already.

MARION:
Please don’t make light if this, Mr. Rosenstein. He had one virtue to balance his two vices. He was very well insured.

DANNY:
That must have been some comfort to you.

MARION:
It would have been. But technicalities with the insurance mean that I am now living with Mother and Father again.

DANNY:
What technicalities?

MARION:
The main one being that there was no body. He chose to go swimming off our beach at midnight leaving a pile of clothes and an empty bottle of scotch, and was never seen again. After a year he was declared dead “in absentia”. So Mr. Davenport is now legally dead in New York State,

DANNY:
So what’s the problem?


MARION:
The policy is held in Massachusetts, and the company won’t recognize the death certificate under those circumstances until he has been missing for five years. They do things slower in Massachusetts.

DANNY:
Now look, Mrs. Davenport. I really don't think I can help you. It’s a lawyer you need, not a private detective. I need the work, but it’s just not my line.

MARION:
Well, the problem is Mr. Rosenstein, it’s happened again.

DANNY: What has?

MARION:
I am engaged to be married, Mr. Rosenstein. Or perhaps I was engaged.

DANNY:
Was?

MARION: 
My fiancé, Bradley Hopgood, disappeared two weeks ago.

DANNY:
Was that in the papers?

MARION:
Father kept it quiet, Mr. Rosenstein. Mainly what he kept quiet was that Bradley’s clothes and an empty bottle of gin were found on the same spot on the same beach.

DANNY:
Do you mean, same thing, different liquor.

MARION:
Same thing, different liquor.

DANNY:
So why aren’t the police involved?, You’d be my number one suspect, Mrs Davenport, so I’m sure even the cops would think the same.
MARION:
Of course, Mr. Rosenstein. If I didn’t know better, I’d suspect myself. But I have the advantage of knowing I didn’t do it.

DANNY:
But of course, you would say that.

MARION:
Yes, I would. For your information, the police have questioned me….twice now, but apart from advising me not to leave the State of New York, I’m free to come and go. There is no body, no weapon, no suicide note, and no reason whatsoever why I should wish to kill him.

DANNY:
Considering all of this, you don’t seem very upset.

MARION:
Well, what would that achieve, Mr. Rosenstein? Mother and Father always taught me to just get and deal with a problem. So to get to business, what do you charge?

DANNY:
Twenty a day plus expenses. You’d get an itemized bill for those, of course.

MARION:
Of course. My father will be happy to pay.

DANNY:
Of course. Look, you're his daughter and all, but why is he stumping up for this – not that it’s any of my business?

MARION:
You’re right, it isn’t. But Daddy values reputation above gold, and right now I’m suspected by everyone we know of being a two-time murderer, so that means he has to do something about it. So, because of your reputation, I came to you.

DANNY:
I wasn’t aware that I had a reputation on Long Island, well not outside Brooklyn.

MARION:
You don’t. That makes you perfect. No-one will know you, and there will be no link to us.

DANNY:
So what is it you want me to do?

MARION:
Well, Mr. Rosenstein, I want you to find out how it was that my husband to be killed himself, or maybe was disposed of by someone else in exactly the same location and manner as my late husband committed suicide.  If you can do that, Daddy will be very grateful.

DANNY:
Just Daddy?

MARION:
Well, me too, I guess.

[At this point the façade begins to crumble: her face creases up and she begins to cry. D.R. moves around the desk and offers a handkerchief. He doesn’t know what to do, until he realises that he can offer a drink. He opens the bottom drawer of his desk and pulls out a bottle of whisky and two grubby glasses. He pours a large one for her, and a small one, but then looks at her, shakes his head, and adds even more to his own glass. With no further dialogue, Marion takes a long pull on the whisky, still sobbing. Danny sips his more slowly, looking at her. Picture fades out. Scene ends.]

Comments