Preliminary task diary: filming in London (28/10/2019).



(Me outside of The Queens Head pub.)

Over the half term break, I traveled to south London.  To explore and film many of the locations, that are associated with Charlie Chaplin youth.  I researched these locations using various, including Chaplin biographies. These included, the London cinema museum (former Lambeth workhouse), Kennington road, The Queens Head pub (pictured above) and many more. In this blog I shall upload some photos with some information.

The Queens Head pub (pictured above), was where ‘Rummy’ Binks worked during Chaplin’s youth and was one of his inspirations for the tramp character. The pub has now been converted into a cafe that is Chaplin themed, on the inside. I filmed the out side of it, with the camera on a tripod.


(Me, outside of what remains of the workhouse.)

The old Lambeth workhouse building, is now home to the London Cinema Museum. Although I have visited the museum on several previous occasions, I had not book this time. And therefore I could only film the exterior. In addition I also provided a short price to camera, but I might not include it as I want my documentary to expository and not participatory.


(Me outside of, St John's church, Larcom street.)

St John's Church was where Chaplin's parents, Hannah and Charles Sr, were married 22nd June 1885. Charlie was born four years later, 16 April 1889. Here I filmed some steady, handheld shots.


(Me outside of 39, Methley Street.)

Methley street was where Charlie's mother lived, from November 1898-August 1899.


(Photo of me on Kennington road, thanks to a friendly passer-by.)

Kennington mansions is where Charlie lived with Alfred Jackson, who the founded "The Eight Lancashire Lads" clog dancing troupe.

I visited many different places on that day. And after I got back to the hotel, I took this screen shot of the route I took on my phone.


(life 360 tracker on I phone.)

Source:

Chaplin: his life and art. by David Robinson.

Just thought i'd brag this photo from my copy of the book.





Comments