How long should a picture be held in a documentary?





I was looking at my first draft of a Chaplin documentary that I have made. I saw I had made a change from an image of Chaplin and Jackie Coogan sat on a doorstep, to one of a film poster, and I thought that as I watched it the transition seemed a bit rapid. I then wondered if it would look better if I held the first image for a few seconds longer to let that one sink in.  Like this……please look at it for about 10 seconds!


I then started wondering how long other documentary makers hold an image, especially Ken Burns, as my Chaplin documentary uses many still images with a voice-of-God narration, in a style like his.

I looked at two segments from an episode of “The Civil War” (1990)


and one from an episode of “Prohibition” (2011),


How did he change his approach across the years? One change was that he could use archive footage when making “Prohibition”,
but when he used it, he linked sections together into a common theme, like street scenes or scenes at the docks. Three or four of these together would add up to between 10 and 19 seconds, but because they looked like they were from the same camera on the same day, I thought about them as being like one image. He also made use of modern interview footage, but he used L and J cuts, with speech beginning over an image, then the speaker would be on screen, followed by another image while the speaker continued. I was impressed that this seemed to give even more meaning to their comments.

By watching the timings closely, and this was most easily done by watching on You-tube with the timer at the bottom of the screen, I also saw that there were periods where Ken Burns cut to black for about 3 seconds. I had not noticed these before, but I realized that he was using these as a way of changing topic, using the black screen as a sort of paragraph break. Like this…..


When I measured the image duration, I found for the Civil War documentary, that in one block of just under 2 minutes he used 10 images for an average time on screen of 11.9 seconds. I selected another segment from the same episode at random, and found in just over 2 and a half minutes, with two periods of black of 3 seconds each, that he had 12 still images or short periods of moving image, with again, an average duration of 11.9 seconds. The shortest still image was held for 6 seconds, and the longest for 19 seconds.

The next bit of Ken Burns documentary I looked at was “Prohibition”. I chose this because it uses a combination of still and moving images, but used a good number of stills. In his later documentaries, “The War” and “The Vietnam War” he had so much moving footage that stills, and his classic rostrum camera effect, was used much less. I took a random section of Episode 2 of “Prohibition” and looked at 18 images or short movie segments. The shortest time on screen for a still segment was 7 seconds, and the longest 17 seconds. The average of each visual section was 11.7 seconds. This figure is very similar to his earlier work in “The Civil War”. I also noted that when he changed topic in the section I looked at that he again used 3 seconds of black screen. So his editing techniques stayed very much the same over the years.

Why did he use these duration's? I think that he wants to get one main meaning across with each image, making them like a sort of visual sentence. So the image has to be long enough on the screen to be interesting, but not so long as to be boring. And the answer to my title question seems to be 5 to 20 seconds, and averaging about 12.

How can I use this information?
·        I think I should try to copy this and let images sit on screen for at least 5 seconds.

    ·     I might need to think about a maximum time for an image to be held on screen, but I think in my draft I have not gone over 15 to 20 seconds.
·        I have already used L cut a little in my draft, and will use it in the final version.
·        I will look and see if there are some points where a bit of black screen would help in breaking the story up.



Comments